Code of Conduct
Each local council must adopt and publicise a code of conduct that is in line with the Nolan principles.
The seven Nolan principles apply to the conduct of people in public life.
- Selflessness: you should act in the public interest
- Integrity: you should not put yourself under any obligations to others, allow them improperly to influence you or seek benefit for yourself, family, friends or close associates
- Objectivity: you should act impartially, fairly and on merit
- Accountability: you should be prepared to submit to public scrutiny necessary to ensure accountability
- Openness: you should be open and transparent in your actions and decisions unless there are clear and lawful reasons for non-disclosure
- Honesty: you should always be truthful
- Leadership: as a councillor, you should promote, support and exhibit high standards of conduct and be willing to challenge poor behaviour.