Code of Conduct
Each local council must adopt and publicise a code of conduct that is in line with the Nolan principles.
The seven Nolan principles apply to the conduct of people in public life.
- Selflessness: you should act in the public interest
- Integrity: you should not put yourself under any obligations to others, allow them improperly to influence you or seek benefit for yourself, family, friends or close associates
- Objectivity: you should act impartially, fairly and on merit
- Accountability: you should be prepared to submit to public scrutiny necessary to ensure accountability
- Openness: you should be open and transparent in your actions and decisions unless there are clear and lawful reasons for non-disclosure
- Honesty: you should always be truthful
- Leadership: as a councillor, you should promote, support and exhibit high standards of conduct and be willing to challenge poor behaviour
The Code of Conduct and Social Media Guidance were reviewed at the Annual Meeting of the Council on 3 May 2022.